Quality Millwork Since 1853

 

1920 Photo

By 1853 Jesse Warren (1814-1885) along with his partner Joseph Moore (1821 - 1871), had established a millwork machine shop on High Street in Nashville Tennessee. Warren & Moore reached prominency by 1857 when its nearly fifty employees, using steam powered and that era's most modern equipment, were producing massive quantities of balusters, newels, sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, and dressed lumber of all kinds. In addition to his partnership in Warren Brothers, Joseph Warren served from about 1892 to 1911 as the general manager of the Edgefield & Nashville Manufacturing Company, a large producer of millwork and furniture, situated just across the Cumberland River from the courthouse.

Jesse Warren, Jr. (1853 - ?) and his brother Joseph M. (1855 - 1920), continuing their father's tradition, established in 1874 a business at 30 South Market Street specializing in paints, oils, glass and artist's materials but also offering sash, doors, blinds, and other building materials. Warren Brothers Company operated on Market Street for about two years before moving to College Street, now Third Avenue North. This location on the corner of Third Avenue and Church Street, one block east of the famous Maxwell House Hotel was Warren Brother's home for the next fifty years.

In addition to his partnership in Warren Brothers, Joseph Warren served from about 1892 to 1911 as the general manager of the Edgefield & Nashville Manufacturing Company, a large producer of millwork and furniture, situated just across the Cumberland River from the courthouse., Thus, Joseph manufactured millwork items on the north side of the river and also sold Millwork at Warren Brothers on the south side. Jesse, Jr. left the company before 1910 and, according to Warren family lore, "went west." The future of the company, therefore, was left predominately to Joseph Warren and his descendants, Joseph Warren, Jr. (1877 - 1942) and Joseph Warren III (1907 - 1968).

In 1909, capitalizing on Warren Brothers' success in the paint business, Joseph Warren, Jr. founded a separate firm, the Warren Paint and Color Company, which eventually attained international distinction and today continues its manufacturing on Wedgewood Avenue where it has operated since the early 1920's. In 1927, Warren Brothers relocated from Third and Church to 1146-1148 Broadway and then, in about 1936, the company moved to Seventh Avenue and Harrison Streets, just north of the state capitol building, where its warehouse facilities had been located for the previous several years. The Seventh and Harrison site is now a part of the Tennessee Bicentennial Mall.

On May 22, 1967, an expanding Pacific Mutual Door Company, headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri and led by S. Ray Lambert (1902- 1986) and his son S.R Lambert, Jr., purchased Warren Brothers from the Warren family. A new plant was built for Warren Brothers on suburban Massman Drive and, after about forty years at its Seventh and Harrison location, Warren Brothers began operations in its new facility in 1975. Today, Warren Brothers Sash and Door Company operates as an independent branch of the parent company. After many decades of wholesale millwork distribution to its many fine customers in the mid-south area, Warren Brothers strives to approach the future with the same pioneering spirit that guided Jesse Warren in the 1850's.

Research and text by Mike Slate, 1996.

 

 


We are proud members of:

Home Builders Association of Middle Tennessee
NAHB AMD
Pacific Mutual Door & Window
- Kansas City, MO. -
Warren Brothers Sash & Door
- Nashville, TN. -
Hardman Wholesale L.L.C.
- Osborne, KS. -
Pacific Mutual Door & Window
- Albuquerque, NM. -